As the current Senior Director of Cloud Infrastructure Services I manage and lead global teams for Cloud Services across multiple regions including Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and North America with overall responsibility to organizational key performance indicators, people management, resourcing, scheduling, operational activities, customer satisfaction, and quality of service. Build business strategy, assist with the integration, and define processes and procedures to handle routing, outage awareness, initial resolution, data collection, technical assistance, and customer escalation activities including but not limited to IaaS and PaaS verticals with a focus on actively incorporate innovation and automation into processes to streamline tasks and allow for adjustments to resourcing for overall management of work.
Software Defined Storage; Gluster, Ceph, Swift, VSAN, Distributed File Systems, Software Defined Networking; NSX, PlumGrid, Cisco ACI Infrastructure as a Service; OpenStack, CloudStack, AWS, Google Compute, Azure Platform as a Service; AWS Beanstalk, Heroku, Force, App Engine, Stratos, Docker, OpenShift Continuous Integration Tools, Git, Subversion, Jenkins, Vagrant, Docker, Puppet, Ansible, Salt
Senior Director of Cloud Infrastructure Services
2012 – Present (3 years)
• Lead the migration to open source software defined scalable datacenter solution; OpenStack, OpenShift, Ceph, KVM, Neutron, Docker, Puppet, Jenkins, Git, etc.
• Responsible for the team defining the architecture and roadmap for public facing cloud design which included but was not limited to; hardware selection, software selection, architecture, design documentation, cost analysis, roadmap, implementation, verification and training for legacy teams.
• Direct daily operations by analyzing workflow, establishing priorities, developing standards and setting deadlines which resulted in faster time to market and substantial cost savings.
￼• Implemented automated monitoring and regression testing for internal products and systems.
• Manage onshore and offshore development team consisting of 10 individuals responsible for development, QA, UAT and code deployment activities for business critical products and customer facing systems hosted in a multi-tenant cloud environment dedicated towards data scientists, decision management platforms, big data analytics modeler, big data analyzer, and decision management suites.
• Transitioned development from waterfall to to agile (sprint) methods.
• Lead the transition to a complete continuous build and deployment automation using Git, Jenkins, Subversion, Foreman, and Puppet to ensure improved quality, zero downtime, lower risk, and multiple frequent reliable deployments.
• Identified bugs, wrote bug report, monitored their progress using JIRA or Rally and verified implementation and verified fix.
• Implemented the adoption and use of OpenShift and Docker containers resulting in a “build once and done” deployment strategy allowing us to deploy containers to internal cloud, external multi tenant cloud, and public cloud spaces (AWS, Google Compute, etc)
• Responsible for team managing reporting (products,such as Qualys) against systems for patching and compliance.
• Deployed Beyond Trust, FICO Flame (internal product) an AlienVault SIEM responsible for vulnerability assessments, intrusion detection, NetFlow monitoring, threat intelligence, an integrated global real-time viewing of emerging threats from OTX, the worlds first truly open threat detection intelligence community enabling collaborative defense.
• Implemented ServiceNow Governance, Risk and Compliance software suite which included documented process and procedures, defining and assessing risks, defining control based policies and associated risks, generating audits and tests, remediation tasks, and attestations in the control test definition form as part of the evidence gathering phase of evaluating an organization’s compliance with policies.
• Instrumental in reorganizing internal teams; eliminating inefficiencies, improving agility, introducing growth opportunities and providing executive management with single lines of accountability which resulted in a 50% reduction in delivery times for business critical products and services.
• Oversee definition, revenue growth and management of P&L for cloud solutions and service strategies.
￼• Develop and launch automated application assessment services determining best fit deployment profile for applications and associated workloads.
• Accurately interpret and implement industry standards and best practices for information systems and security utilizing government regulations and standard such as but not limited to ECOA, HMDA, FCRA, Flood, TILA, TISA, RESPA, UDAAP, PCI- DSS (ISA, PCIP), FISMA, FIPS Cryptographic standard, HIPAA, (MDS2), International Classification of Diseases (ICD)9-10, HiTech Act FedRAMP, NIST 800-30 & 53, DIACAP, Sarbanes-Oxley (COBIT), GLBA, ITIL CMM, […] , Privacy, and SSAE-16 SOC 1,2 & 3 audit standards.
• Define Big Data / Data Analytics service with options for handling forensic and predictive analytics capabilities, Hadoop or NoHadoop in an on premise and / or cloud based deployment model
• Contributed to defining overall corporate hybrid enterprise solution through collaboration with CTO/CIO by defining 3 year horizon, authoring white papers, integrating with AWS, GCP and Azure services, outlining strategy for internatinal customer customer facing consumption and education.
• Serve as thought leader and advocate at public events, customer meetings, press and analyst engagements and internal business reviews, significantly increasing public awareness and understanding of FICO Cloud solutions
• Provide technical direction, guidance and mentoring through product lifecycle. Commended by management on numerous occasions for the quality and consistency of exceeding performance
Principal Architect, Systems Engineer, Security Engineer, Release Engineer, and Consultant
DAI, VMware, VCE, American Express, Wells Fargo, LPL Financial, Microsoft, Consulting 2000 – 2012 (12 years)
• Collaborated with business decision makers and system architects across customers enterprise to identify strategic opportunities and in the rationalization of cross segment dependencies
• Worked with functional analysts, developers and development managers to ensure that all solutions are deployed within agreed timelines and supported
• Conducted logical analyses of business, scientific, engineering and other technical problems, formulating solutions or mathematical models of problems for solution by computers
￼• Translated product and business requirements into detailed architectures and designs.
• Managed risks which could promote the theft or coercion of information assets. Early detection of email malware payloads which were reverse engineered resulting in the implementation of remedial actions which reduced and contained any malware impact.
• Developed and maintain global technology roadmaps and solution evolution plans
• Lead implementation of large scale multi geographical distributed systems design; from hardware planning, layered architecture, capacity planning, sizing, development, implementation and integration
• Developed, improve, validate, and invent tools to facilitate enterprise architecture efforts recommending automated approaches to replace manual implementation tasks
• Provided both conventional and innovative (out-of-box) architecture to accelerate and differentiate business goals.
• Implemented Vormetric, a software that provides database security, file security, encryption key management, application encryption, and encrypts data at the filesystem or volume manager layer with keys managed in an appliance which utilize metalclear enabling file metadata to be in the clear while the file data is encrypted, enabling a separation of duties as file owners access data while file administrators can view metadata. Vormetric provides encryption, access control, and reporting.
• Provided ongoing maintenance of Security Operations Monitoring (SOC) including detailed analysis of various risk tool resources in order to evaluate threats. Validation of perimeter and web page monitoring tools for DDOS detection resulting in early defense and minimizing impact.
• Zero day virus threat subject matter expert which entailed detection, reverse engineering payloads which were then correlated into remediation efforts in order to reduce corporate impact.
Technical Core Competencies:
• Virtualization (VMware, OpenStack, KVM, Xen)
• Cloud Computing (AWS, Azure, Google Compute, RackSpace, Nebula, OpenStack) • Architecture, Planning, Design, Implementation and Deployment
• SAN, NAS and software defined Storage (Ceph, Gluster, EMC Storage, Isilon)
• Networking and software defined networking (PlumGrid, NSX, Big Switch)
￼• Scripting; powershell, batch scripting, bash scripting, among others
• Familiar with Glue and Macros languages
• Virtual Infrastructure Planning, design reviews, upgrades and migrations • Infrastructure Jumpstarts and Training
• Architectural Design Reviews
• Datacenter Facility and Infrastructure
• Management Systems and Applications Management Systems
• Security Disaster Recovery Planning, Design, and Implementation
• Security management
• Compliance Management
• Automation Management
• Strategic Planning Project Planning and Management
• Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Services Business Impact Assessment
• Technical Leadership Staff Management
Honors and Awards:
GARTNER – FICO TECHCASE: OPENSTACK AND OPENSHIFT – LESSON LEARNED OVER THE PAST 12 MONTHS : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIuvCuOWqFk
RED HAT HONORS OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENTS IN OPEN SOURCE WITH NINTH ANNUAL RED HAT INNOVATION AWARDS : http://goo.gl/BQq0c9
Publications and Media:
OPENSTACK SUPERUSER- HOW STORAGE WORKS IN CONTAINERS : http://goo.gl/UeIWWe
FICO PROVES THE MAINSTREAM OPENSTACK ADOPTION POINT : http://www.forbes.com/sites/benkepes/2015/06/09/fico-proves-the-mainstream- openstack-adoption-point/
WHY FICO EMBRACED OPENSTACK: AN IT PERSPECTIVE : ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼
FICO SAYS OPENSTACK ENTERPRISE IS READY FOR PRIMETIME : http://goo.gl/8Wvo9k
THINK FICO IS A CREDIT SCORING COMPANY? NOPE: IT’S ABOUT LARGE- SCALE ANALYTICS :
FICO EMBRACES OPENSTACK | #OPENSTACK : http://siliconangle.com/blog/2015/08/21/fico-embraces-openstack-openstack/
• Certified to architect, deploy and implement Vblock 100/200/300/700 infrastructure systems
• VMware Certified Professional 5.5 – Data Center Virtualization
• (VSP 4/5) VMware Sales Professional, Application Modernization, Data Management, Business
• Continuity, Virtualization of Business Critical Applications, Management, Cloud IaaS, Desktop Virtualization
• (VTSP 4/5) VMware Technical Sales Professional VTSP – Business Continuity, Virtualization of Business Critical Applications, Data Management, Infrastructure Virtualization
• VMware Certified Associate – Data Center Virtualization, Cloud, Workforce Mobility
• Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Platform-as-a-Service
• Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Data Virtualization
• Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Clustering and Storage Management
￼Skills & Expertise:
Research, Cloud Computing, Management, Virtualization, Distributed Systems, OpenStack, Software Defined Networking, Software Defined Storage, Engineering, Ceph, Converged Infrastructure, VMware, Red Hat Linux, Docker, OpenShift, PaaS, IaaS, Capacity Planning, System Monitoring, Open Systems Architecture, Cloud Applications, Cloud Security, Private Cloud, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Hybrid Cloud, Load Balancing, Containers, Vagrant, Windows Server, Professional Services, Systems Engineering, System Architecture, Embedded Systems, Systems Analysis, Elasticity, Analytics, Web Analytics, Predictive Analytics, Large Scale Deployments, Large Scale Systems, Automation, Puppet, Python, Continuous Integration, Azure, Amazon EC2, Amazon EBS, Cisco Technologies, Consulting, Board of Directors
• Docker Seattle – Meetup
• Nerds Collide! – Meetup
• Seattle AWS Architects & Engineers – Meetup • Seattle Cloud Foundry – Meetup
• Seattle Ansible – Meetup
• PNW Cloud Security & Compliance – Meetup
Management training, new technologies, investing, fishing, snowboarding, digital photography, traveling, engineering, reading, traveling, music, internet browsing, ice hockey, lacrosse, philanthropic events, community service, history and archeology.
• Volunteer at Art Guide Northwest
• Volunteer at Humane Society for Seattle & King County
• English (Native or bilingual proficiency) • German (Elementary proficiency)